No-Sew DIY Netbook Sleeve



It is my first time to post a DIY project. Though this is not my first time to do crafts, as this is also one of the ways to release my boredom and stress, aside from cooking, reading, guitar(ing? lol) and sleeping (and my favorite one). However the city does not have the frill and very limited to find craft material thus making it hard for me to continue this kind of thingy.

Last week, I got my long-awaited Samsung chromebook from +Bernie Anderson and it just hit me that I need a sort of a sleeve or case for it. I tried to look for a 11" net book case in big department stores in UB and couldn't find one (or when I did, it was so expensive) and I guess it's time for my creative juices to splurge and do the necessary thing: to make a DIY project.                              .

I also searched for DIY laptop projects over the web and they all look nice and easy to make! It's just that the materials are still expensive to buy here in Mongolia. So I find a best alternative to use: Floor rug.


I bought this Bob Marley-ish rug for 2,500 MNT (1.4 USD) in a shop near my school and that's the cheapest price you can get for this project. I don't want my sleeve to be that tatty that my chromebook will not get the protection and support it will need. The rug's texture is perfect for a sleeve and it is not too thin either. I was originally planning to buy a table mat as a good alternative as well but when I laid my eyes on this cutie and asked for the price, I compulsorily went to the counter and bought it. (Note: In Mongolia, you can hardly find good stuffs in less than 5,000 MNT. And when you do, they really must be on sale, which is on rare occasion.)

Anyhow. I only used four (4) materials for this project. The rug, a string, pair of buttons and a hair tie.

Materials that I used:
Rug, hair tie, pair of cute buttons, leather string
I chose the buttons and the strings myself that will suit best to the rug I bought. I was trying to create some rasta-boho style in this project, but you can choose your own thing. I bought the buttons for 300 MNT each, and the string for 600 MNT/ meter.

Since the chrome book fits perfectly on the rug, I just cut the it crosswise with a pair of scissors.

Don't mind the excess cloth on both sides, as it will work perfectly as part of the design later on
Now secure both ends by creating a knot of string with at least one inch apart. Do this for the left and the right side. 




Attach the two buttons using a string (I used the string from the other half of the rug) in this manner. In the same way, you can attach a single button and place it in the middle of the sleeve. It actually depends on what you prefer.



Now we are ready to secure the sleeve using a hair tie. I attached it on the upper most part of the sleeve using the remaining leather string.




And my chromebook sleeve is ready.




You can also find more groovy DIY laptop sleeves here

Comments

Popular Posts