Globe-trotting Mongolia: Hitting the Border of Mongolia and Russia

Over the past weeks I've been trying to work out on my career predicament that I overlook on the beautiful things, and the good times. 80% of my time was spent in my room, on my bed, on my phone or with a book, sleeping or pretending to sleep. What a very unproductive soul, eh? You bet. It's one of those introver-mode-on days. Good thing I managed to keep myself back on track with the help of my friends, bff and of course, Him. And how do I cope up with that? By those little blessings that I nearly took for granted. It was so nice that I was again reminded and refreshed as I read my daily Bible App:

Allow yourself to be nourished with the beauty of this world. Watch the sun rise, gaze at the ripples of water on the lake, listen to the songbirds, feel the breath of the breeze, glory in the colors of the sunset, feel the magic of the moon. This beauty is the air for your soul.

Thus so, we headed ourselves and set our feet on the beautiful province of Selenge, asymptoting Russia. An undoubtedly nourishment for the eyes.


Pose with the Boss(es) of the Road

Selenge is one of the 21 provinces of Mongolia, located in the northern part of the country. Its name derived from the largest river in Mongolia, the Selenge River, that stretches throughout the said province. From Ulaanbaatar we took the train and traveled for 8 hours to reach the place. The long travel is so worth it, we have seen a new world in an old pinto.

At the Train Station heading to Selenge
(L-R: Jep, Muugi, Ate Nelly)

Selenge is known as the Pine Capital of Mongolia


Gloomy Selenge

Upon arriving at Selenge, we waited for friends who will be coming from Darkhan (6 hours from Selenge via train) and we headed straight to the camping site
 
The Campsite. We'll be staying on one of those gers :)




Inside our ger with Pastor Roggi
We went to Altanbulag, a district in Selenge province and got the chance to see Kyakhta, Russia on the opposite of the border. Altanbulag plays a significant role in Mongolian history as it is where the Free Trade Zone was located between Mongolia and Russia. It also served as the battleground among Russian, Mongolian and Chinese during the War on 1920s. Altanbulag's rich history has been preserved in Sukhbaatar Museum.

Our Mongolian Tour-Guide-slash-driver Explaining the history-slash-geography of Selenge

Friends Near the Mongolia-Russia Border
(From L-R: Ate Nelly, Muugi, Jep, Ate Berlie, Ate Arlin, Ate Lou and Ate Myrna)


At Free Trade Zone and Battleground of the 1920's War
(You can also see Kyakhta, Russia from that view)


I'm trying to make Russia visible in the background but I ended up covering it by myself haha fail

The Sukhbaatar Museum in Altanbulag District

I just wish someone could translate this for me



The Free Trade Zone in Water Color

We had also set our eyes on beautiful rock formations at Saikhnii Huutuul facing the Selenge River and part of Russia.





Yes, that's me waving

Comments

Popular Posts